The objective of the SSHRC Explore – Standard Research and Research Creation Grants program is to cultivate a strong research base through the support of high quality research and creative work. It is expected that funding will lead to increased individual and group participation and success in external grant competitions. Seed funding is the Board’s priority. These grants support new faculty, new research initiatives and small-scale projects.
Each year there is one SSHRC Explore – Standard Research and Research Creation grant competition. A completed SSHRC Explore – Standard Research and Research Creation grant application form must be received by ROADS by 4:30pm on the deadline date, October 31st. (Next business day if the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday.)
Please note that requests for conference attendance and representational activities may not be included in a Standard Research and Research Creation Grant application. A separate Conference Attendance and Representational Activities Grant application must be completed.
The maximum allowable for the SSHRC Explore – Standard Research and Research Creation Grant combined is $7,000 per Researcher per competition Cycle and the award is granted for a period of 24 months beginning January 1st. Any grant funds not used by the end of that period will be returned to the ARB.
SSHRC Explore – Standard Research and Research Creation Grant applications will be assessed for the following:
- Clarity, focus and appropriateness of the research objectives, research plan, and the theoretical and methodological approach;
- Extent of scholarly content and originality;
- Overall contribution of the research to the candidates long range research plan; and
- Applicant’s scholarly contributions relative to the stage of career (e.g., publications, reviews, abstracts, conference presentations over the last five years).
The complete guidelines and application forms:
- SSHRC Explore – Standard Research and Research Creation Grant Guidelines and Application – Revised July 2018
Final Report Requirement
To be eligible for future ARB funding, researchers who have been awarded ARB SSHRC Explore or Exchange funds previously must submit a final report to ROADS within six months of completing the project.
If you have any questions about the ARB, please contact Kim Graham, Research Administration Analyst.