The objectives of SSHRC Exchange – Conference Attendance & Representational Activities Grants are to support the applicant’s participation in national and international conferences of major scholarly significance, as well as representational activities for scholars who hold executive office in scholarly organizations thereby contributing to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Business and the enhancement of the stature of the participant and the University. Presenting a major exhibition of work at a national or international conference will also be supported but funding will be at the discretion of the Faculty Conference Sub-Committee.
Each year there are two Conference Attendance & Representational Activities Grant competitions (Fall & Spring). A completed application form must be received by ROADS by 4:30pm on the Spring deadline date, March 31st or the Fall deadline date, October 31st. (Next business day if the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday.)
The maximum allowable SSHRC Exchange – Conference Attendance & Representational Activities Grant is $4,000. Researchers who submit multiple applications to the same competition or who submit an application to more than one competition within two fiscal years (April 1 to March 31) will be awarded a maximum of $4,000 over the two year period. Any grant funds not used by the end of that period will be returned to the ARB.
Funds awarded in a competition are exclusively for the conference applied for (conference named in application awarded) and cannot be used for another conference. An expense report for Conference travel must be submitted the Research Finance office within one year of the grant award. Presenting a major exhibition of work at a national or international conference will also be supported but funding will be at the discretion of the Faculty Conference Sub-Committee. Conference funding cannot be granted only for conference attendance.
SSHRC Exchange – Conference Attendance and Representational Activities grant applications will be reviewed for the following:
- Significance of the conference (e.g., the conference’s importance to the dissemination of results or research);
- Justification of the financial expenditures (e.g. is the budget justified for the Conference proposed);
- Contribution to the candidate’s long range research plan; and
- Applicant’s scholarly contributions relative to the stage of career (e.g., publications, reviews, abstracts, conference presentations over the last five years).
- Other considerations:
- Priority will be given to applicants requesting support for the presentation of a peer-adjudicated submission at a major, learned conference.
- The Arts Research Board will consider applications for travel grants by Canadian scholars who hold office in international scholarly organizations to attend management and policy meetings of those organizations.
- In cases where a joint paper is to be presented, only one author will be supported unless an exceptional circumstance can be demonstrated.
The complete guidelines and application forms:
- SSHRC Exchange – Scholarly Publications Grant Guidelines and Application
- SSHRC Exchange – Conference Attendance and Representational Activities Grant Guidelines and Application form
Final Report Requirement
To be eligible for future ARB funding, researchers who have been awarded ARB SSHRC Explore or Exchange funds previously must submit a final report to ROADS within six months of completing the project.
If you have any questions about the ARB, please contact Kim Graham, Research Administration Analyst.