Through research infrastructure investments the ORF-RI program aims to ensure that Ontario’s research institutions and their researchers continue to have competitive, state-of-the-art infrastructure to engage in world-leading research and technology development, and are able to leverage awards from the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI).
The ORF-RI program has two streams:
- Large Infrastructure Fund (LIF)
- Strategic investments in institutional research facilities that bring together researchers from a range of disciplines, technology experts and industry partners to generate new ideas, stimulate technology development, and support the growth of strong regional economies.
- Small Infrastructure Fund (SIF)
- Investments to help attract, retain and develop leading researchers by supporting the acquisition and renewal of state-of-the-art research equipment at Ontario’s publicly funded research institutes.
- The ORF-RI is adjudicated in association with CFI.
- ORF-RI Small Infrastructure Fund applications are due within three weeks of submission of corresponding CFI John Evans Leaders Fund (JELF)
- All CFI and ORF-RI applications, both McMaster led and partner proposals, require Faculty endorsement.
- Once ROADS or HRS has received approval from the Faculty Dean, a Senior Advisor will be assigned to provide you with guidance documents and assist you with development of your proposal.
The ORF-RI program is a matching program:
- Up to 40% of the total project budget comes from the ORF
- Up to 40% comes from the CFI
- 20% or more comes from a combination of in-kind or vendor discounts and cash.
Additional information about the ORF-RI program can be found on the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade website.