The Face of a Great Research University
Our purpose is the discovery, communication and preservation of knowledge. Our vision is to achieve international distinction for creativity, innovation and excellence.
These excerpts from McMaster’s Mission and Vision Statement underscore the pre-eminent role that research plays in the life of our University. At McMaster, research is a living, breathing entity. It elevates the student experience, energizes our faculty, and stimulates the kind of original thinking that has made McMaster a national leader in research excellence and earned us a place as one of the top 100 universities in the world:
- McMaster consistently ranks among Canada’s most research-intensive universities.
- Along with our hospital partners, we are globally recognized and consistently ranked among the top 50 universities in the world for health and medicine.
- Our research is strengthened by the strong collaborations within our faculties and with our hospital partners.
- Our regional communities benefit through unique initiatives like the David Braley Health Sciences Centre – Canada’s first facility to fully integrate teaching, research, public health services and academic primary care services.
- Nearly a quarter of our full-time faculty members have been awarded Canada Research Chairs, endowed or industry sponsored chairs, or professorships based on the strength of their research.
- We have more than 70 high-impact research institutes and centres, many with state-ofthe-art facilities equipped with powerful new technologies to drive the next important discovery.
- McMaster has built a 30-year relationship based on community partnerships and research projects with Six Nations of the Grand River, the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation, and the Hamilton urban Native populations, resulting in several national and international Indigenous research initiatives.
- McMaster is expanding its international reach, collaborating with global researchers and world-leading organizations to build research partnerships and academic programs.
- We are a leader in knowledge transfer, particularly in the area of copyrighted materials, entering into more license agreements annually than any other Canadian university.
- McMaster Innovation Park is at the heart of the region’s innovation ecosystem and will soon boast new incubator space and facilities for spin-off companies to translate our discoveries into world-changing applications.
Ours is an impressive record of achievement. But research excellence is about more than statistics and accolades. It’s about influence and impact. About advancing the greater social good—in our communities, in our country, and around the world.
And that’s where McMaster really shines.