Call for Proposals
**update: now closed**
Research and High-Performance Computing Support (RHPCS) is pleased to announce the launch of a new Research Software Development Pilot Project. The Research Software Development Pilot Project has been made possible by funding from the Canadian Network for the Advancement of Research Industry and Education (CANARIE) and the Office of the Vice-President Research.
This project will help researchers refine existing software tools to improve usability and robustness, disseminate research software beyond the lab in which it is created, and to enhance existing functionality. Additionally, this pilot project will provide direction on future Research Software Packages that will be offered to research groups. The Research Software Development Pilot Project will provide research groups access to a small team of professional research software developers. Research software developers will work alongside research groups on a part-time (up to a 0.4 FTE) basis for 2 to 6 months. The Research Software Development Pilot Project will run from April 2019-July 2020. Please note, there is no direct funding available through this program, but rather access to time from the Research Software Development Team.
Call for proposals
We are inviting research groups to apply for support from the Research Software Development Team, as outlined below. We will initially be supporting 2 to 3 applications, and expect to launch future calls for applications in Summer 2019 and Winter 2020 as resources permit.
Interested researchers can apply by completing a short application form that:
- describes the problem requiring support from the Research Software Development Team
- describes the scope of the required software, how it is intended to be used, and how it might be used by other groups
- explains the current status of the software to be developed, including an estimate of the number of current users and an estimate of the number and range of intended users after working with the Research Software Development Team
- proposes a strategy for engaging with and supporting the Research Software Development Team to ensure a successful outcome within the intended time frame.
Applications will be assessed by a selection committee made up of researchers from the RHPCS Advisory and Research Technology Committees using the criteria outlined below. Applicants are invited to discuss their application with the Research Software Development Team prior to submission. The three to five most highly ranked applications will be invited to discuss their proposals in more detail with the selection committee who will then pick the 2 or 3 projects that they consider to be the best fit for the Pilot Program.
- March 4th 2019: Applications are due at 12pm
- March 11th, 2019: Notification of initial application outcomes will be delivered
- March 18th-30th, 2019: Shortlisted applicants will be invited to discuss their proposals with the selection committee.
- After April 8th, 2019: Projects will begin
Questions should be sent to the Research Software Development team.