The Research Information Technology Committee has approved a project to implement a new software platform to support operational activities of McMaster’s Research Facilities. This project will run from June 2020 until May 2022.
The project will focus on creating a new platform, MacLIMS, that is based on the Ivey Scientific NanoLIMS platform. Research facilities will be invited to join the project as capacity of the development team allows, to ensure that the platform is implemented in a robust, sustainable and secure manner.
Research facilities will first express an interest in being moved to the MacLIMS platform by completing a brief questionnaire which includes key information that will allow their request to be prioritised by the Office of the Vice-President, Research (VPR). The VPR will review the questionnaire and consult with the Associate Deans, Research to ensure that the order in which facilities are invited is aligned with University and Faculty priorities, and with project staff to ensure that the order in which facilities are invited to join the platform can be supported by the project team. One a Research Facility is selected for inclusion, they will be asked to meet with the project team to create a migration plan. Only once this migration plan is finalised can any work commence.
Factors that will be considered by the VPR and ADRs in prioritizing facilities being invited to join the MacLIMS project will include:
- Alignment of the Research Facility with institutional and Faculty priorities
- Current procedures for carrying out administrative tasks in the Research Facility
- The current costs being incurred by the Research Facility in order to perform functions that would be handled by MacLIMS
- The range of instruments / equipment operated within the Research Facility, and the number of users
- The willingness of the Research Facility to adjust its administrative processes to fit within the MacLIMS platform
- The capacity of the Research Facility to implement a change of management platform in a timely manner
- The capacity of the Research Facility to support its users through a change of management platform
- The alignment of the needs of the Research Facility with the current capabilities of MacLIMS
- The alignment of the planned capabilities of MacLIMS with the needs of the Research Facility
- The capacity of the project implementation team to meet the needs of the Research Facility in a timely manner
For technical support or issue submission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.