Labarge Centre for Mobility in Aging
The Labarge Centre for Mobility in Aging (LCMA) was created in 2016 to facilitate and amplify research initiatives that mitigate the risk and consequences of declining mobility with age. Situated within the McMaster Institute for Research on Aging (MIRA), and built on the groundwork supported by the Labarge Optimal Aging Initiative and the Labarge Foundation, the Centre fosters interdisciplinary research approaches to all aspects of mobility in aging, including:
- Biological and physiological contributors;
- Behavioural, cognitive and psychosocial influences;
- Biomedical, clinical and technological innovations;
- Availability of prevention, rehabilitation and management strategies for mobility challenges; and
- Environmental components, such as social, economic, policy and physical/structural factors.
Through the generosity of Suzanne Labarge, McMaster’s strength in aging research has been magnified with the aim of developing evidence-based interventions that will impact the lives of today’s aging population.