The McMaster Industry Liaison Office (MILO) supports the research endeavors of McMaster University by facilitating collaborative research with industry partners and disseminating research results through commercialization. MILO is a unit of the Office of the Vice President of Research at McMaster University.
Advancing collaborative research
- We review and negotiate all industry-sponsored research agreements and all research contracts performed by the University, whether from government, industry or other sources.
- We work with researchers and industry to ensure that appropriate legal agreements are in place to enable the exchange of cells, other biological or chemical materials and confidential information.
- We assist researchers in applying for industry matching grant programs, such as NSERC’s Alliance program, Mitacs Accelerate and Elevate, and the Ontario Centres of Excellence’s Voucher for Innovation and Productivity, as well commercialization funding though programs such as NSERC’s Idea to Innovation.
- We evaluate inventions, discoveries and copyright materials developed by researchers at McMaster and its affiliated hospitals, Hamilton Health Sciences and St. Joseph’s Health Care Hamilton to assess their commercial potential.
- We secure intellectual property protection, through patents, copyright, trade-mark and other means to protect and enhance research discoveries.
- Using market research and our industry connections, we identify industry receptors or investors who can support further development and commercialization of these discoveries.
- We assist in creating spin-off company opportunities by connecting researchers with industry representatives, early stage investors and management or other service providers.
- We support the Forge and Michael G. DeGroote Initiative for Innovation in Healthcare (MGDII) in educating the McMaster community to foster a culture of entrepreneurship
Have a question? Contact MILO today!