If you are looking to obtain funding, opportunities can be found through:
- McMaster’s Funding Opportunities Database
- Institutional Initiatives: Strategic programs administered by McMaster’s research administration offices (ROADS, MILO, HRS). These programs include:
- Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI): JELF Deadlines: February 15th, June 15th, October 15th | IF competitions: Every 24 to 30 months
- Canada Research Chairs (CRC): Competition deadlines: Yearly in April and October
- Canada Excellence Research Chairs (CERC): Internal application deadline: April 18, 2022
- Early Researcher Awards (ERA): Held Annually – 2023 Deadline: TBD
- Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure (ORF-RI): Due within 3-4 weeks of submission of corresponding JELF/IF submission
- Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence (ORF-RE): Held every one to two years
- Industry Funding: Discover the value of partnering with Industry.
- Contacting one of the research administration offices (ROADS, MILO, or HRS):
- The Research Office for Administration, Development & Support (ROADS) helps researchers from all Faculties find external non-industry funding to support their research activities
- The McMaster Industry Liaison Office (MILO) helps researchers from all Faculties find industry-sponsored funding to support their partnered research activities
- Health Research Services (HRS) is the primary contact for researchers from the Faculty of Health Sciences who are seeking external non-industry funding to support their research activities
Apply for Funding
Need help developing and submitting a successful proposal? Let our research administration offices (ROADS, MILO, or HRS):
- Review your application and offer suggestions for how it can be strengthened
- Ensure your proposal complies with University policies and meets the criteria and guidelines of program sponsors
Steps to Proposal Development
- Advise the research administration office (ROADS, MILO, or HRS) responsible for the funding program of your intent to apply
- Review McMaster’s guidance documents
- Submit a draft of your application to the appropriate research administration office (ROADS, MILO, or HRS) for review by McMaster’s draft deadline
- Obtain institutional approval using the application approval form– all applications for research funding must have institutional approval before they are submitted to the funding agency
- Submit the final draft of your application and the completed application approval form to the appropriate research administration office (ROADS, MILO, or HRS) by the established McMaster deadline
Have additional questions? If you are applying from the Faculty of Health Sciences, please contact an Advisor from HRS. If you are applying for industry sponsored funding, please contact an Advisor from MILO. For support with external non-industry funding, please contact an Advisor from ROADS.
Approval forms are to be completed by the PI in order to obtain institutional approval for the submission of a grant application and opening of a research account. Completed and signed forms are to be submitted to the appropriate research administration office.
Application Approval form for the Faculty of Science – Sponsored Project Checklist
Updated September 2021 - Every grant application and contract (ie, project) requires a completed and signed checklist.
HRS Checklist – Application Approval Form for Faculty of Health Sciences (HRS Only)
Updated September 2021 - Approval form to be completed by the PI in order to obtain institutional approval for the submission of a grant application.