Sony Research Award Program
Research Admin Offices:
- Faculty Innovation Awards: $100,000 USD
- Focused Research Awards: $150,000 USD
- Health Sciences
- Natural Sciences and Engineering
Sponsor Deadline:September 15, 2020
Sony has announced the Sony Research Award Program which provides funding for cutting-edge academic research and helps build a collaborative relationship between faculty and Sony researchers. Both the Faculty Innovation Award and Focused Research Award create new opportunities for university faculties to engage in pioneering research that could drive new technologies, industries, and the future.
- Faculty Innovation Awards
- Focused Research Awards
We accept applications from Principal Investigators (PIs) who are full-time professors (adjunct professors are not eligible) or researchers and are eligible to supervise Ph.D. students at a university/educational institution in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and the United States of America. Full professors, associate professors, and assistant professors are eligible to apply.
We accept applications that have a PI and one or more co-PIs for the same proposal. However, only one award is made to the primary PI and the primary PI’s university/institution if the proposal is selected. All Co-PIs must meet the same eligibility criteria as that for a PI, and Co-PIs will be required to sign program documents.
Multiple Proposal Submissions
A PI or different PIs from the same university/institution may submit more than one proposal for different research topics. However, please do not submit identical proposals more than once. Note that at the bottom of your submission confirmation email, there is a link to resubmit your proposal in the event that you discover that your original had an error or an omission. Please use this link for resubmissions and do not resubmit identical proposals. Also, please do not submit “test” submissions. In the rare event that you do not receive a confirmation email for your submission, please complete the Inquiry Form available here informing us of your issue.
The following information will be required in order to complete the online submission form for each proposal submitted.
- Proposal information; proposal title, proposal file (11 pages maximum including proposal, references, and 1-page budget summary), and either one Focused Research Theme (if for the Focused Research Award) or one primary keyword (if for the Faculty Innovation Award).
- PI’s Information; PI’s full name, PI’s title, PI’s CV file, PI’s email address, and PI’s department name.
- Only for the US and Canada, please enter your SAT International Code for PI’s university/institute (please find PI’s SAT International code here). Please be careful to use the correct code because some schools have several codes to designate different programs or campuses. Also note that some school names use common abbreviations (e.g. INST for INSTITUTE) or simply truncate some words in the school’s name when searching for a school code. Please enter “0000” if you cannot find the four digit SAT International Code for your school.
- Submitter’s Information, if not the PI (optional); Submitter’s full name and email address
If you are applying from the Faculty of Health Sciences, please contact an Advisor from HRS.
For support with external non-industry funding, please contact Virginia Viscardi, Senior Advisor, ROADS.