Sony Research Award Program 2022
Research Admin Offices:
Up to $150,000 USD* per year for each accepted proposal.
- DeGroote School of Business
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Natural Sciences and Engineering
Internal Deadline:September 15, 2022
Sponsor Deadline:September 15, 2022
The Sony Research Award Program provides funding for cutting-edge academic research and helps build a collaborative relationship between faculty and Sony researchers. The Faculty Innovation Award and Focused Research Award create new opportunities for university faculties and research institutions to engage in pioneering research that could drive new technologies, industries and the future
- PI’s institution: PIs must belong to a university, educational institution, or governmental/non-profit research institute. (e.g., we accept submission from research institutes that are categorized as governmental and NPO/NGO in nature index tables).
- PI’s position: PIs must be a full-time professor (adjunct professors and adjunct researchers are not eligible) or researcher and be eligible to supervise Ph.D. students at the PI’s institution. Full professors, associate professors, and assistant professors are eligible to apply. For the UK, this includes Senior Lecturers, Principal Lecturers, Lecturers, and Readers who are eligible to supervise Ph.D. students at their institutions.
- Countries: The PI’s institution must be in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and the United States of America.
- Please select one target award between the Focused Research Award and the Faculty Innovation Award when you submit a proposal.
- Research Agreement– A sponsored research agreement is required that is mutually agreed upon by Sony**, the PI, and his/her institution on all program terms including objectives, milestones, publication, use of research, and patent rights before any award is made or funding is available. This sponsored research agreement is negotiable at the award stage and must be between Sony, the PI, and the PI’s university/institution only.
- Please submit proposals for a one-year period only. No multi-year proposals will be accepted. An extension of the research may be possible depending upon the results of the research collaboration in year one, but it will require a separate discussion for another award the following year.
- Please include the required items listed below in your submission:
- Title, abstract, methods, goals/milestones, references, and either one Focused Research Theme (if for the Focused Research Award) or one primary keyword (if for the Faculty Innovation Award).
- Please describe your submission’s differentiation from the current state-of-the-art.
- Please include the best contact email address and phone number (complete with country code) for the PI.
- All proposal contents must fit within 11 pages (a ten-page maximum proposal with references and a one-page budget summary). The file format must be a PDF or a MS Word file format and must be under 16 MB in size. Out of consideration to reviewers, please limit your minimum font size to a 10-point font.
- Submissions must be done through the online submission form.
- Submissions made by email will not be accepted. Submissions must be in the English language, or they will not be accepted.
- Ross Huyskamp, MILO