NGen Funding Program to Scale COVID Response (Apply ASAP)
Research Admin Offices:
Projects are not expected to exceed funding of more than $5 Million
- Health Sciences
- Natural Sciences and Engineering
- Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities
NGen is working with the Government of Canada to respond quickly to the COVID-19 pandemic and ensure the ongoing safety of Canadians. We are allocating funding to those companies able to rapidly respond to the COVID-19 pandemic by building a Canadian supply of essential equipment, products, and therapeutics.
Projects will be selected for funding according to critical needs identified by the Government of Canada and the ability of manufacturers to produce products that are safe for both patients and health care workers.
NGen will prioritize funding for projects that can have an immediate impact between April and the end of June 2020 and will fund eligible costs for projects within this timeframe up to 100% (depending on the level of knowledge and information sharing to help Canadians). Projects that will have an impact in the medium term – beyond the June 30 timeframe may also be considered for funding at 50%. Projects are not expected to exceed funding of more than $5m. We are encouraged by the volume of support and outreach that we have already received to address the COVID-19 outbreak.
It is imperative that Canada takes a coordinated approach to meet this challenge head-on. Please complete this form at https://www.ngen.ca/covid-19-response if you are able to assist with the response.
NGen will align its response and project selection with critical needs as identified by the Government of Canada and work to coordinate funding with other federal and provincial funding programs.
- Any member of the Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster may submit an application for project funding or apply to be considered as a partner or co-investor in Supercluster projects.
- Register as a Supercluster member at https://www.ngen.ca/join
- Recipients of Supercluster funding must be incorporated in Canada.
NGen funding for approved projects will be made available through the Government of Canada’s Innovation Supercluster Initiative. The program will support Canadian companies to rapidly respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program has three primary goals:
- To support companies looking to develop and manufacture new therapeutics, equipment and products essential for COVID-19 response;
- To support manufacturers who currently produce essential equipment and products increase product output; and,
- To support manufacturers transitioning from production of existing products to products essential for COVID-19 response.
Critical product requirements will be identified by the Government of Canada. Current needs include:
- Virus screening tests
- Antiviral and symptom management treatments (once available)
- Personal Protective Equipment, including gloves, gowns, and protective masks
- Hospital Equipment (e.g. ventilators, IV equipment, hospital beds and ICU equipment, equipment for remote facilities)
- Cleaning and Sterilization chemicals and equipment.
Basic Project Requirements
Projects selected for funding will need to align with priorities defined by the Government of Canada. Companies should commit to at least one of the following:
- Canadian government procurement has first right of refusal on all products produced as a result of this funding program. Companies must prioritize sales to Canadian hospitals and meet those needs before sales outside of Canada can commence
- Companies should be willing to licence and/or share new IP for rapid scaleup of production with the Government of Canada and other companies that can manufacture the new technology.
Eligible project costs are defined here: https://www.ngen.ca/covidprojectguide
Capital expenditures exceeding $1 million are eligible but require approval by Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada. An expedited approval process has been established with ISED.No project management fees will be charged on NGen’s COVID-19 projects.
It is expected that collaboration will be required to achieve expected project goals. However, in exceptional circumstances, NGen may fund individual company initiatives.
NGen has created a new process to manage and assess COVID-19 projects. This process has been designed to respond rapidly to the pandemic, but still meet key governance requirements established by the Government of Canada, including independent and evidence-based selection of projects that NGen will fund.
A dedicated portal is currently being designed and built to reflect this new process and will be launched shortly. In the interim, NGen will work with project proponents through a secure site to develop the proposals.
Project Selection and Contracting
- Send expressions of interest to www.ngen.ca/covid-19-response or apply on NGen’s COVID-19 project portal (once operational).
- NGen will conduct a review using independent experts.
- NGen may convene an Assessment Panel to discuss projects with applicants.
- Assessment panels will recommend projects to fund.
- NGen will notify applicants of assessment outcomes.
- If approved for funding, NGen will issue a Master Project Agreement (MPA) setting out the terms and conditions linked to the funding.
- The project applicant will submit final project documents along with signed MPA.
**If you are interested in submitting an EOI, please contact the McMaster Industry Liaison Office (MILO): Gay Yuyitung, Executive Director.