Michael G. DeGroote Fellowship Awards
Research Admin Offices:
Each award provides non-renewable funding of $50,000 for one year for successful applicants. The funding is comprised of $40,000 from the Michael G. DeGroote Health Sciences Development Fund and $10,000 contributed by the applicant’s supervisor.
- Health Sciences
Internal Deadline:April 1, 2023
Sponsor Deadline:April 1, 2023
The Michael G. DeGroote Fellowship Awards are an opportunity for excellent postdoctoral candidates to pursue top-level research training. First awarded in 2008, the awards provide funding to research-intensive individuals looking to further their academic career in the Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University.
Awards are available in two categories: the Michael G. DeGroote Fellowship Award in Basic Biomedical Science and the Michael G. DeGroote Fellowship Award in Clinical Research. Candidates conducting basic science research are eligible for the Basic Biomedical Science Fellowship Award and those pursuing clinical research are eligible for the Clinical Research Fellowship Award. Applicants must identify in their application which award they are applying for. Separate selection committees will review the respective applicants for each award.
- To be eligible for this program, candidates must have started their postdoctoral or health professional degree studies on, or after, July 1, 2022. Additionally, eligible candidates must be within five years of receiving their PhD or MD. Individuals who completed post-doctoral studies or a fellowship at McMaster under a different supervisor are not eligible.
- The candidate must plan to conduct their research in a department or school (or related centre or institute) that resides in the Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University.
- For candidates who hold (or are completing) a PhD, the proposed supervisor(s) listed in your application must be different than your PhD supervisor. Your proposed supervisor must be from within the Faculty of Health Sciences, but you could have a co-supervisor that is from another Faculty.
- Priority will be given to those applicants whose graduate training has not been exclusively at McMaster.
It is expected that winning applicants will seek out and attain external funding within their one-year award term. Supervisors are expected to assist their candidates in doing so.
Applications are now being accepted and we are seeking qualified candidates to apply. If you know of any first-rate candidates who you feel would be a good fit for these awards under your supervision, please:
- E-mail email@example.com clearly detailing your ability and willingness to provide the matching $10,000 in funding to support the candidate;
- Have the candidate visit http://healthsci.mcmaster.ca/mgdfa and apply online. The deadline for applications is April 1, 2023 with an estimated start date of June 1, 2023.
For more information on the awards, please visit the awards website or send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.