2023 Banting Foundation Discovery Award
Research Admin Offices:
Up to $30,000 for innovative health and biomedical research projects led by new investigators who are a) within the first three years of their first academic appointment, b) who have received less than $200,000 as part of their faculty start-up package, and c) have received less than $50 000 per annum in external funding.
- Health Sciences
Internal Deadline:January 10, 2023
Sponsor Deadline:January 24, 2023
- HRS Internal NOI Deadline - December 1, 2022
The Discovery Award is a one-year grant of up to $30,000 for innovative health and biomedical research projects by outstanding new investigators at universities and research institutes in Canada, who are within the first three years of their first academic appointment and who have received less than $200,000 as part of their start-up package. The intent is to provide seed funding so that applicants can gather pilot data to enhance their competitiveness for other sources of funding. We fund at least 6 awards per year. In addition, we partner with other organizations to grant co-funded Discovery Awards.
Additional Program Information:
- This is a two-step application process.
- Only applicants that submitted a Notice of Intent to apply by December 1, 2022, 10 pm (eastern) will be eligible to submit a full application.
- You must be a new investigator at any Canadian university or affiliated research institute and be within the first three years of the date of your first career academic appointment at the application deadline date of January 24, 2023.
- You must not have received more than $200,000 in start-up funding by your institution, excluding support from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI).
- You must not have been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds at the application date of January 24, 2023. (An applicant who has been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds may submit a request for up to $25,000, provided that the total sum of operating funds received from all sources during the funding year, including any funding awarded by The Banting Research Foundation, will not exceed $75,000).
If applying from the Faculty of Health Sciences, unless otherwise indicated, you no longer need to send documents to HRS Intake. Your first point of contact is your assigned Senior Grants Advisor.