2022 Medical Research and the Canadian Stem Cell Network UK-Canada Exchange Programme Awards
Research Admin Offices:
Each organization will invest up to $180,000 CAD/£112,000 GBP over two years to support new and developing collaborations between the UK and Canada’s researchers. Funding will support the travel of up to six Canadian and six UK researchers each year at $15,000 CAD/ £9,500 GBP per researcher. Exchanges are expected to be 6-12 weeks in length.
- Health Sciences
Internal Deadline:September 1, 2022
Sponsor Deadline:September 15, 2022
The purpose of the UK-Canada Exchange Programme Awards is primarily to provide new skills to researchers, including MSc/PhD students, post-doctoral fellows, research associates, technicians, and newly independent investigators, and to build new links between UK- and Canada-based scientists. The awards can be used for travel, accommodation, and site visits or conference attendance in either country, or will serve to add value to the research taking place in both countries by facilitating closer collaboration.
The Medical Research Council and the Canadian Stem Cell Network have launched the UK-Canada Exchange Programme Awards scheme, which will provide funding for travel and skills exchange between regenerative medicine researchers, including MSc/PhD students, post-doctoral fellows, research associates, technicians, and newly independent investigators, in the UK and in Canada.
- Each application must be submitted jointly with the support of one named PI in the UK and one named PI in Canada. Each PI can be acting as exchange host, sending an exchange scientist, or both.
- UK named PIs must meet the eligibility criteria for MRC funding. Canadian named PIs must meet the eligibility criteria for Tri-Agency funding.
- Eligible exchange researchers include graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, research assistants or research associates, and newly independent investigators (within five years of their first independent academic research appointment). Newly independent investigators can apply as both the exchange researchers and the named PI.
- The project that is the focus of the exchange must have been previously peer-reviewed and funded by a granting organization/agency in Canada (e.g., CIHR, NSERC, or SCN) or in the UK (e.g., UKRI, the Wellcome Trust, medical research charities).
- The host and exchange researcher are responsible for ensuring they obtain permission from the host institution (including all relevant training, e.g., health and safety) for the exchange researcher to access institutional facilities associated with the host laboratory, and for following all institutional rules and guidelines for the duration of the exchange. Arrangements should be made for facilities access in advance of the exchange wherever possible.
Completed applications consist of:
- Completed application form.
- CVs of both lead investigators (one from UK, one from Canada) of any exchange researchers.
- Proof of a previously peer-reviewed and funded grant by a granting organization/agency in Canada (e.g., CIHR, NSERC, or SCN) or in the UK (e.g., UKRI or Wellcome) including project abstracts.
- Completed application packages should be sent to both Ellie Arnold and Natasha Jardine by September 15, 2022
If applying from the Faculty of Health Sciences, unless otherwise indicated, you no longer need to send documents to HRS Intake. Your first point of contact is your assigned Senior Grants Advisor.